SEO Best Practice 2017 [Top SEO Checklist]
Are you a freelancer, Blogger or webmaster looking to learn SEO Best Practice 2017 to learn tips and tricks on How to do On-Page SEO? Here is a perfect SEO Checklist 2017 for you to learn how to do On-Page Optimization for your website content, How to do Off-Page optimization, List of settings to follow on WordPress website setup, How Social sharing helps in SEO 2017 and many other useful points that will help you to learn many things if you are a beginner or intermediate blogger.
SEO Best Practice 2017
Follow the list of SEO Checklist below and learn how to do seo on your website, that helps you to do perfect SEO for your business websites or blogs. If you are looking for a way how to improve SEO, this article will help you. It covers 4 different topics regarding SEO 2017.
- On-Page SEO Checklist 2017
- Off-Page SEO Checklist 2017
- Best SEO Settings for a Website Checklist
- Social Signal Checklist for SEO
On-Page SEO Checklist 2017
Here is the best On-Page SEO Checklist you need to follow and keep in mind while developing your blog. This On-Page SEO Strategy works great on 2017 if you followed correctly.
- Use domain names which includes brand or money keywords (www.fancy-bakers.com, www.cheesecake-experts.com)
- Use keyword at the beginning of the domain: www.cheesecake-experts.com instead of www.experts-in-cheesecake.com
- Use keywords in subdomains: cheesecake.fancy-bakers.com
- Host your site at local internet service providers
- Use top level domains which match your target market, e.g. .co.uk for the UK. For .com or .org domains, there is no local limitation
- Integrate keywords in file paths and file names: www.fancy-bakers.com/products/cakes.html
- Avoid too long file paths!
- Use hyphens as delimiters in filenames: cheese-cake-2.html instead of cheese_cake_2.html
- Add keywords to the title tag in the header section of your page: use built-in features of your Content Management System
- Do not exceed 60 characters for the title tag
- Use keyword at the beginning of the title tag, e.g. “cheesecake experts” instead of “experts in cheesecake”.
- Add keywords to the meta description tag in the header section of your page: use built-in features of your Content Management System
- Use about max. 130-155 characters for meta description
- Do not use the field meta keywords. They are no longer regarded as being relevant for search engines.
- Use h1 and h2 tags for headlines
- Use the h1 tag only once per page.
- Create a well-formed structure for your page body: alternating headlines and text.
- “Content is King!” – Take care of high quality! The content shall be well researched and valuable for the reader. A good indication for quality is that you might want to read your text in a magazine or newspaper.
- Use correct spelling and grammar.
- Include references and sources for citations.
- Make people stay on your site! For example, place a “how to” video on the top of a page. This kind of eye catchers increases the average stay of your website’s visitors.
- The ideal length for the content of a page is about 2,000-2,500 words.
- Do not copy + paste whole passages from other pages. Search engines know which content came first.
- Repeat your keywords in the page content. However, do not repeat it too often! It might be punished by the Search Engines (keyword stuffing). Design your text as if there were no search engines to judge your ranking!
- Use synonyms for your keywords within the content so that the topic gets emphasized.
- Take care that the content of your page refers to the title. If the title says “How to bake a cake”, the Search Engines expect keywords like “cake”, “bake”, “oven” instead of “tennis”, “buy here” or “latest news”.
- Keep your content up to date! Replace outdated content by new one.
- Add supplementary content to your site, e.g. a page presenting a recipe might provide printable features, reviews, nutritional information or a related video.
- If referring to other web pages add in citations. Cite all relevant references in your articles and add links to the source pages. This will increase the trust and authority of your published content.
- Implement a responsive design: optimize your page for mobile access.
- Many Ads = Low Quality! Do not exaggerate with ads. Do not place advertisements at the top, which require scrolling to see the content. Avoid advertising which looks like navigation or secondary content.
- Add keywords to alt texts, captions and file names of images and videos. Use built-in functions of your Content Management System. Add a detailed description of the video – search engines cannot evaluate the content of a video.
- Use HTML5 instead of Flash to add animated content to your website.
- Outbound Links to Authority Pages are beneficial.
- Link to pages of a related topic! If you host a page about boats do not link to pages about tennis.
- Do not use too many Outbound Links! Make people stay on your page, do not provide too many options to leave.
- The number of Internal Links might push the relevance of a certain page within your website.
- Internal Links from a prominent page of your website might push the relevance of the linked page.
- Avoid broken links since it let’s the website look like being poorly maintained. You can use free tools like http://www.brokenlinkcheck.com
- Strengthen your Brand both by Offline and Online Marketing Campaigns.
- Add About us Pages to increase the trustworthiness of your site and strengthen your brand.
- For brainstorming of keywords use Tools like Free Mind to create mind maps.
- Use tools like the Google Keyword Planner, Answer the Public to research for keywords.
- Use tools like Sistrix to analyze the progress of your SEO initiatives.
Off-Page SEO Checklist 2017
Thes best Off-Page SEO Practice and Checklist to follow and rank your website on 2017.
- Install Browser Plugins like Open SEO Stats, Power*Trust (Link Research Tools) or MozRank for a quick access to the search metrics of sites you look up in the web
- Look out for link partnerships with sites related to your topic, or with your suppliers or business partners.
- Avoid excessive link exchange.
- Avoid backlinks from social bookmark sites and web directories unless they have high power and trust (e.g. delicious, Yellow pages, Yelp or Dmoz)
- Avoid blacklinks from article directories, free blogs or free websites
- When leaving comments with links to your site in forums, blogs, FAQ or social media sites: take care to post valuable content for the users, and link to your page for further information
- Look for a good mixture of backlinks from different sites. Avoid too many backlinks from one single site
- Links integrated into the content of a site are more valuable than links from a blank page or links being part of a link list.
- Take care of a good mixture of anchor texts from your backlink partners, e.g. 60% brand keywords, 30% money keywords and 10% long tail keywords
- Adjust your link profile (= composition of brand, money and compound keywords) to comparable sites of your industry. You might use tools like the “Competitive Landscape Analyzer” by Link Research Tool.
- Avoid anchor texts like “look here”, “this website”.
- Be aware of Co-Occurrence: The keywords nearby your anchor texts are important with regards to the semantic algorithms of search engines.
- Avoid hamful links, e.g. links from sites which are not listed in the Google index, or which do not have any backlinks themselves, or are suspected to carry malware or virusses. A suitable tool is e.g. Link Detox by Link Research Tools.
- Upload a disavow file to Google to make Google know which links to your site shall be ignored by the search engine.
- Use tools like Link Research Tools to analyze your backlink profile and to compare it with those of your competitors.
Best SEO Settings for a Website Checklist
Here are the SEO Settings that you need to follow to your website, Google loves these settings and rank high if you follow them.
- Add a tree-like User Sitemap to your website
- Add an XML Sitemap to your website.
- Submit the XML Sitemap to Google, Bing and Yahoo.
- Implement a Breadcrumb Navigation.
- Implement a robots.txt file to define which sections of your website shall be indexed by the search engines and which sections shall be excluded from the index.
- Avoid duplicate content! In case of duplicate content, use canonical links indicate the original content. If you use WordPress, Drupal or Joomla there are extensions which support canonical links.
- Pagination: if you include lists that are spread over various pages (item 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 etc.) link them with each other using the ref=”prev” and ref=”next” parameters
- Implement 301 redirects for pages which became obsolete or moved to a new URL
- Use 302 redirects if pages are temporarily moved to a different URL
- An SSL Certificate increases the trustworthyness of your site
- Take care of a high availability of your web server
- Use Server Side Caching to speed up your site
- Use well formed, valid HTML ( = standard feature of Content Management Systems)
Social Signal Checklist for SEO
Learn how much impact can Social Signals helps in Search Engine Optimization 2017,
- Add a comment function to your blog
- Make your content popular by linking it from posts of others. Make sure that you do not perform link spamming. Add valuable information to others’ articles and place a link to your site for more details
- Strengthen your brand by creating pages in Facebook, Google+ etc. – especially in LinkedIn
- Motivate your employees to create personal LinkedIn accounts promoting their personal skills and trustworthyness
- Keep your social channels alive. Take care to have an appropriate relation between articles, comments and likes
- Create valuable content. Keep your content up to date: review in regular intervals, correct outdated content or enrich it by new aspects
- Facebook Shares of your page count more than Facebook comments or likes
- Facebook Shares, Twitter Links etc. have more influence on your ranking if they come from authority sites or popular pages
- Build relationships on Google+, Facebook etc. with authorities on your subject
- Build up a community – Set up circles, divide circles by fields of interest, share your circles publicly
- Start producing particular content for specific circles, get you users involved. By time, you can get more general involving multiple circles at a time
- Don’t start right away with your main article. Build up a fundament with several articles and a user community first.
- Use Content Discovery Tools in order to find trending content which you might share on your website, blog or through your social channels.
SEO Checklist 2017
These are the checklists for On-Page SEO, Off-Page SEO, Blog Settings for SEO and Social Signals to practice on 2017. Share this SEO Checklist 2017 with your blogger friends and comment your strategies on performing SEO to your blogs to rank in Google.